News & Updates

5 Most Common Reasons Why Your Website is Down

All website owners dread the day when they receive an error message in place of their website’s homepage. Even the tiniest interruption can send your customers running for the hills. Twitter, Google, and Amazon have all had their fair share of downtime. A website monitoring service will alert you when your website goes down, but the reason behind the problem is usually less clear. To help you prepare for an eventual crash, we’ve compiled a list of the five most common reasons why a website goes down:

Unreliable Web Host

Most web hosts advertise 99% uptime. The remaining 1% keeps the door open for possible outages if the web host fails. Budget web hosts and other below-the-line hosting services are notorious for frustrating their customers with up to 30% downtime. All website owners should be familiar with the name of their web host and keep a customer contact number handy in case of an emergency.

CMS Complications

Every content management system (CMS) comes with its own set of hiccups. A website could be down because of a botched plugin, bad code, or an issue with the system’s database. If you frequently upload content via WordPress or another CMS, make sure that you check the website for any errors before the webpage goes live.

DNS Connection

A slow connection from the server to the Domain Name System (DNS) can cause a website to crash. A misspelled nameserver at a site’s domain registrar could also be the culprit. As the owner, you should make sure that your website is registered with the correct IP address.

DoS Attack

Denial of Service (DoS) attacks overload a server with too many requests, causing it to freeze or become unresponsive. If your website is linked to a server that gets attacked, it will go down with the ship.

Poor Coding

It takes a trained eye to scan thousands of lines of code for errors. Mistakes are bound to happen. A bad piece of code could disrupt a single page or take down an entire website. Coders should get in the habit of recruiting another set of eyes to double check their work for errors.

The best way to protect a website from downtime is to invest in a third-party website monitoring service. A quality monitoring service alerts you when your website goes down so you can fix the problem as soon as possible. Pingometer.com offers 24/7 website monitoring with 100% accuracy when it comes to reporting downtime. Stay on top of your website’s performance with a superior website monitoring service.


Comments